Friday, September 13, 2013

#012 This Is Water

Most of you who take the time out of your busy schedules to read what I have to write are doing so because you are the type of person who makes the valiant choice to be better, and if not better, at least more aware.  I'm far from a fountain of information or wisdom.  However, my thoughts that I put into this blog are more times than not the effect of the wisdom someone has graciously presented to me.

My good friend, Todd Wallace, a man and coach of great wisdom, texted me earlier today to listen to a graduation speech given by author David Foster Wallace at Kenyon College in 1995 entitled "This Is Water." 

I found this speech to be enlightening, quite profound, and very entertaining.  So, I thought I would share the wisdom someone shared with me with all of you.

For those of you feeling a little lost in the monotony and frustrations of life, I hope that this brings you to some perspective and opens your eyes to your personal possibilities, if not the challenges of those around you are facing.  For you teachers and coaches, there are parables, anecdotes, metaphors galore in the speech that will be very valuable lessons for your students and players depending on your choice to use them and how to use them.  I think you will also find that these words are a great reminder about how and why to find joy in what you do and better appreciate those around you.  I hope you all find something valuable in his words.

I wish you all a great weekend.  I hope you all choose to not allow your "default settings" to keep you from being happy!
 
Matt Rogers
Twitter:  @madcoachdiary